Who are Opensignal?
Opensignal, a mobile analytics company, is the global standard for measuring real-world mobile network experience. Using billions of measurements collected 24/7 from tens of millions of smartphones, we analyse real-world mobile network experience at the largest scale and frequency in the wireless industry. We believe measuring how the network performs directly through users’ eyes is key to building better wireless networks. Our insights are used across the industry by mobile operators, telecoms regulators, equipment manufacturers and analysts. We have done business across six continents and have driven press headlines in 80 countries, in an industry impacting the lives of billions around the world.
Founded in 2012, Opensignal is a high-growth global company harnessing the power of mobile technologies and big data analytics to redefine how the mobile industry measures network performance. We’re part of the Global Telecoms ‘Power 100’, TechCity Future Fifty, and backed by an impressive portfolio of investors.
Having doubled our team to over 60 within the last year, we plan to grow beyond 80 employees by the end of 2019, to help drive our vision. We're headquartered in Angel, London, where you’ll find most of our employees, who we like to call 'Opensignalers', but the teams you'll work with are global. A truly international team, our ‘Opensignalers’ work across four continents, and represent over 25 nationalities and languages.
Purpose of the role
Our mission is to be the source of truth on mobile network experience. Fulfilling this is hard, it requires constant innovation. Mobile networks are evolving, new services are gaining in popularity.
Last year we released our video experience metric making us the first in the mobile analytics industry to report on this. To maintain our lead, we need to measure experience of even more current and future services. You’ll be at the forefront of evaluating new experience metrics, working with people within the business and in the broader industry and academia.
As technical researcher, you will be responsible for:
- Seeking out and summarising technical literature on strategic focus areas, this will include academic papers, white papers, and other documentation.
- Researching companies that align with our strategic focus: which are the principal ones we should target given the focus of the metric we are developing; how these companies are structured and what their concerns are.
- Contacting and developing relationships with developers, analysts, academics & infrastructure providers in strategic areas of focus.
- Helping coordinate a program of collaboration to test experience or performance of new metrics we are developing.
It would also be an advantage if you could help us to:
- Design and organise or run controlled tests
- Conduct first pass analysis as we trial new metrics or as we look to understand other data sources (for example publicly available datasets).
- Where you don’t have the specific knowledge (for example to build some data collection code into our SDK or conduct advanced data analysis at scale) you’ll work closely with members of other teams to bring about trials of new metrics or improvements to our current methodology.
What we need from you:
- Ideally you will have an advanced academic background in a Computer Science or Data Science related field
- You’ll have experience in seeking out, understanding and summarising relevant literature including academic publications, whitepapers & industry reports
- You’ll be able to see both ‘the wood and the trees’ in the industry - i.e. mapping out companies and trends, but also understanding the industry in detail. You’ll be able to identify key contacts to approach, and we’ll help you in reaching out to them.
- You’ll have the ability to effectively nurture relationships with academia and industry.
It would be beneficial if you also had:
- Experience with object-oriented programming (OOP) is highly desirable in order to help your understanding of API documentation and source code.
- Knowledge of good experiment design practices
- Proficiency with SQL and experience with R/Matlab or Pandas
- Interest in telecommunications and user experience. A knowledge of either networking technologies (and specifically mobile) or of quality and usability as applied to mobile services is desirable
What will you get in return?
- Competitive salary and stock options to share our growth
- Matched-contribution based pension scheme, company-wide bonus, private healthcare (including wellbeing subscriptions and discounted gym membership), cycle to work scheme and MacBook of your choice
- Constant exposure to learning opportunities in your role and the ability to make an impact from day one, as well as regular 'OpenSessions' (internal learning talks)
- Personal development budget for conferences, courses, materials and training; with access to a learning platform that provides curated, role-specific content for inspiration on spending your budget
- Our 'Opensignalers' - an ambitious, focused and friendly team backed by some of Europe's top investors
- Ability to work flexibly as well as regular socials and all-company events (from team lunches, to our monthly HQ socials and bi-annual away days)
- HQ in Angel, central London, filled with fresh fruit, coffee and an abundance of snacks and drinks, set in an area buzzing with coffee shops, eateries, a local market and bars.