Senior DevOps Data Engineer
We are in search of a Devops Data Engineer to work with our data team on our core data products as well as the wider technical team. These products showcase the terabytes and variety of crowdsourced data collected from millions of contributors’ mobile sensors globally.
OpenSignal is a London based start-up with the vision of harnessing the next billion sensors. Our mission is to become the global authority on wireless; our wifi and mobile signal crowdsourcing apps have been downloaded over 15 million times, our public reports reach a wide audience and our OpenSignal Insights are purchased by key players in the telco industry. You’ll be joining our engineering team in a brand new office in the heart of Angel, Islington.
Join us in Improving Signal, Together.You :)
You have a devops background and get excited about the big data revolution! You have at least 5 years of experience of automating yourself out of existence, continuous delivery and working closely with developers to ensure a smooth deployment process. A working knowledge of Big Data (preferably Spark) will be a big advantage, especially understanding the full stack from storage to system tuning to cope with the performance and scaling demands.
You will work most closely with our data team on our key data products in addition to the web and application teams. You will take responsibility for running and developing the infrastructure to support the business and development teams. This includes helping to define the architecture, improving existing pipelines for efficiency as well as monitoring and overseeing normal operations. All whilst keeping a close eye on upcoming tools and technologies that can help grow OpenSignal.
Our Stack & Workflow
Our current tech stack is built on AWS using Ansible for configuration and deployment, managed with Jenkins pipelines and under the watchful eye of Prometheus. The majority of our codebases are in Python (+Django), with a data pipeline using Spark (both Scala and Python) running on top of Mesos, with SQL (mainly PostgreSQL). You would be a core part of evolving this to support future requirements and keep the world shiny.We have to deal with massive amounts of data so we work with cutting edge tools and constantly improving. This has lead to two of our data scientists presenting at Pydata Meetups about the work they did at OpenSignal.
- You have five years of devops engineering experience
- Configuration management (preferably Ansible)
- A strong advocate of Continuous Integration and Deployment
- A keen eye for improvements whilst keeping the other eye on business priorities
- You have an interest in big data and enjoy a wide remit
- Startup mentality - moving fast, under control
As well as a competitive salary (£60-80K based on level of experience) and stock options to share our growth:
- Constant exposure to learning opportunities and ability to make an impact from day one
- Beautiful office in London by Angel station
- Smart team and top investors
- Kitchen filled with beer, coffee, tea, fruit and cookies
- Relaxed work environment and work-life flexibility
- Growing library of books
- Regular team events and learning talks