Full Stack Developer
Harness power of next billion sensors!
The sensor revolution is accelerating and we are in search of full-stack developers to work on revolutionary products that showcase terabytes of crowdsourced data collected from millions of contributors’ mobile sensors across the globe.
OpenSignal is a London based start-up with the vision of harnessing the next billion sensors. Our mission is to become the global authority on wireless; our wifi and mobile signal crowdsourcing apps have been downloaded over 15 million times, our public reports reach a wide audience and our OpenSignal Insights are purchased by key players in the telco industry. You will work within cross-functional teams of 2 to 5 together with data scientists and mobile developers and have the opportunity to own and shape large chunks of the codebase.
You understand that shipping is more important than bikeshedding, but also that "it works on my machine (with some simple test data)" is not acceptable. You view software as a craft and strive to use the right abstraction and constructs.
- Work with databases produced from various data pipelines to create rest apis to be used by our Android and iOS apps.
- Consume these apis to create web visualizations and interactive console.
- Implement designs from static mockups to tested and maintainable websites.
Our Stack & Workflow:
Our primary language in the backend is Python, we develop our APIs using Django REST Framework or Flask, we use Spark and Pandas in the pipeline.
Our infrastructure is hosted on Amazon Web Services and we use EC2 (with the Elastic Load Balancer), S3, and RDS extensively. We use Vagrant and Ansible for virtualization and automation, Jenkins for continuous integration and deployment.
We enforce systematic peer reviews using pull requests and a release-based git branching model.
- You have some experience working with SQL.
- You have a desire to learn stuff. It's ok if you don't know our software stack as long as you are willing and able to learn.
- You feel at home in a unix shell and have at least basic notions of git.
- You care about writing robust code using unit (and integration) testing.
- You have a strong, well-rounded background in software engineering.
- You have a history of working in development teams and strong communication skills.
- You are familiar with automation tools such as Ansible.
- You have experience building web or mobile facing REST APIs.
- You have advanced knowledge of Django or PostgreSQL.
- You are passionate about OpenSignal's mission to become the global authority on wireless.
As well as a competitive salary (£45-60K based on level of experience) and stock options to share our growth:
- Constant exposure to learning opportunities and ability to make an impact from day one
- Beautiful office in London by Angel station
- Smart team and top investors
- Kitchen filled with beer, coffee, tea, fruit and cookies
- Relaxed work environment and work-life flexibility
- Growing library of books
- Regular team events and learning talks