We are in search of a Data Analyst (Junior/Graduate) to help us effectively deal with and gain insights from terabytes and the massive variety of crowdsourced data we collect from millions of contributors’ mobile sensors across the globe.
OpenSignal is an award-winning London based start-up backed by top-tier investors including Qualcomm, Passion Capital and O’Reilly AlphaTech Ventures. Our mission is to become the global authority on wireless networks; our Wifi and mobile signal crowdsourcing apps have been downloaded over 15 million times, our public reports reach a wide audience and our OpenSignal Insights are purchased by key players in the telco industry. You will work within cross-functional teams of data scientists and developers and have the opportunity to get exposure to complex and techincally challenging data science problems to grow and gain more data responsbilities.
We are in search of a Data Analyst to expand our current Data team. You’ve recently graduated or have some experience working as a data analyst. You’ve used either Python, R or Scala at work or at university for a couple of years. You’re now hungry to learn lots by working with LOTS (terabytes) of data and on complex technical data science problems while being supported by experienced data scientists who can show you the ropes.
Your Role & Responsibilities:
You will enable us to deal with the terabytes and massive variety of data we crowdsource more effectively. You will be developing new ways of extracting and examining key insights from noisy datasets. You’ll also be making our clients happier (and helping us grow) by developing more-extensive and more-accurate measurements of critical aspects of cellular networks. You’ll be supported in all of these responsibilities by experienced data scientists with relevant Telco and math PhD backgrounds.
You will be given responsibility of running and improving at least one of our data products, primarily focusing on competitive benchmarking of network operators. We know you may need help with this and we'll be supporting you along the way. You will also be developing new ways to view our data, initially experimenting and then productizing new segmentations and analyses of our key metrics. Additionally, you will conduct ad-hoc and novel exploratory data analysis in response to customer or sales enquiries and help us grow!
We have billions of rows of data, so you have ample opportunity to glean useful insights from over 20 different sensors on the phone!
Our Stack & Workflow:
Our tech stack is built on AWS, and most of our data analysis is typically conducted using Apache Spark, although SQL is used for smaller datasets.
Requirements and Must-haves:
- You have one year's experience using at least one of Python, R or Scala (including academic experience).
- You can write intermediate to advanced SQL.
- You have a passion for data analysis and see the importance of data visualisation.
- You have a firm understanding of basic statistical concepts such as confidence intervals, you know the difference between a mean and a median, and you can explain why the Central Limit Theorem is important.
Apart from a competitive salary (£30-50K based on level of experience) and stock options to share our growth:
- Constant exposure to learning opportunities and ability to make an impact from day one
- Beautiful office in London by Angel station
- Smart team and top investors
- Kitchen filled with beer, coffee, tea, fruit and cookies
- Relaxed work environment and work-life flexibility
- Growing library of books
- Regular team events and learning talks