Data Engineer / Back-End Developer
We are in search of a Data Engineer / Back-End Developer/with Python experience to work with our data team on our core data products. These products showcase the terabytes and variety of crowdsourced data collected from millions of contributors’ mobile sensors globally.
OpenSignal is an award-winning London based start-up backed by top-tier investors including Qualcomm, Passion Capital and O’Reilly AlphaTech Ventures. Our mission is to become the global authority on wireless networks; our Wifi and mobile signal crowdsourcing apps have been downloaded over 15 million times, our public reports reach a wide audience and our OpenSignal Insights are purchased by key players in the telco industry. You will work within cross-functional teams of data scientists and product managers and directly impact our growth by creating a very efficient data pipeline to extract insights for our enterprise clients.
You have a back-end or full-stack developer background and get excited about the big data revolution! You have at least a couple of years of experience working with Python, can demonstrate an interest in data analysis and ready for the opportunity to explore new ways of extracting insights from terabytes of crowdsourced data. You may even be thinking of transitioning into being a data scientist in the next couple of years and this is a great way to get exposed to data, stats and machine learning.
You will work with our data team on our key data products. You will take responsibility for running and developing existing core data products including the newly built online platform of OpenSignal Insights. This involves integrating new features, improving existing pipelines for efficiency as well as monitoring and overseeing normal operations. If you’ve got front-end skills, you will also improve the data visualisation aspects of this core product.
You will also conduct development work around internal reporting tools that help us grow by providing our marketing and sales team with the tools they need to answer client questions better.
Our Stack & Workflow:
Our current tech stack is built on AWS, and features reporting products built in Python+Django, with a data pipeline using Spark, SQL and R. We are moving away from R, so while any knowledge is a plus, it is not required.
We have to deal with massive amounts of data so we work with cutting edge tools and constantly improving. This has lead to two of our data scientists presenting at PyData Meetups about the work they did at OpenSignal.
- You have two years of software-engineering experience using Python.
- You can write intermediate to advanced SQL.
- You're up-to-date with modern software development practices, comfortable using Git and know what LGTM means.
- You have an interest in data analysis and happy getting your hands dirty, working with and cleaning-up data to bring out its value.
What You Get:
As well as a competitive salary (£40-60K based on level of experience) and stock options to share our growth:
- Constant exposure to learning opportunities and ability to make an impact from day one
- Beautiful office in London by Angel station
- Smart team and top investors & advisors
- Kitchen filled with beer, coffee, tea, fruit and cookies
- Relaxed work environment and work-life flexibility
- Growing library of books
- Regular team events and learning talks